Crystal Chicken Soup with Julienned Vegetables & Angel Hair
Posted on 22 Jul 00:43
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces (about 3½ pounds)
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 4 or 5 beef marrow bones (about 2 pounds)
- 5 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 large parsnips, quartered
- 2 small turnips, quartered
- 2 medium parsley roots, quartered, or sub in a combo of more parsnips and turnips
- 1 large green bell pepper, halved, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 large onion
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 20 parsley sprigs
- ½ head cauliflower “broken into florets
- 7 garlic cloves
- 20 black or white peppercorns
- 4 whole allspice
- 1 large zucchini, cut into ⅛-inch julienne
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into ⅛-inch julienne
- 1 large daikon, peeled, cut into ⅛-inch julienne
- 1 pound angel hair pasta, cooked and drained, at room temperature
- Place the chicken, marrow bones, carrots, parsnips, turnips, parsley roots, green pepper, onion, and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a 12-quart stockpot. Cover with 6 quarts cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Skim and discard the foam that forms at the top when it comes to a boil.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons salt, the parsley, cauliflower, garlic, allspice, peppercorns and return to a boil. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the 4 chicken breasts and allow them to cool slightly. Remove the meat from the bones. Shred or chop the meat and store it in the fridge to serve in the soup or for another use. Return the bones to the pot. Continue simmering, covered, over low heat, for at least 2 hours more.
- Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander lined with cheesecloth or a clean old T-shirt. Discard all the solids or save them for another use. Chill the broth overnight.
- To serve the soup, remove the surface fat and pour the broth into a large pot. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until warm, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the zucchini, carrot, daikon and the reserved chicken, if desired. Simmer 5 minutes to cook the vegetables and heat the chicken. Be careful to keep the soup over low heat; bringing the soup to a boil can make it cloudy. Season to taste with salt.
- Place ¼ cup angel hair in each soup bowl and ladle the hot soup over the pasta. Serve immediately.
- This soup can be frozen after the surface fat is removed. You can freeze the breast meat separately if you want to use it for other dishes.
©2011 by Gonzalo. All rights reserved.
back to top